MAMMOGRAPHY

Mammography is the most reliable means of detecting breast cancer before a mass can be palpated in the breast. Some breast cancers can be identified by mammography as early as 2 years before reaching a size detectable by palpation.
Although false-positive and false-negative results are occasionally obtained with mammography, the experienced radiologist can interpret mammograms correctly in approximately 90% of cases. For women with a history of mammographically occult lesions or otherwise at high risk for harboring cancer that is not detectable by mammogram, magnetic imaging resonance (MRI) and ultrasound may be warranted but they are not recommended for screening the general population.
Other than for screening, indications for mammography are as follows: (a) to evaluate each breast when a diagnosis of potentially curable breast cancer has been made, and at yearly intervals thereafter; (b) to evaluate a questionable or ill-defined breast mass or other suspicious change in the breast; (c) to search for an occult breast cancer in a woman with metastatic disease in axillary nodes or elsewhere from an unknown primary; (d) to screen at regular intervals a selected group of women who are at high risk for developing breast cancer (see below); (e) to screen women prior to cosmetic operations or prior to biopsy; and (f) to follow women who have been treated with breast-conserving surgery and radiation.
Patients with a dominant or suspicious mass must undergo biopsy regardless of mammographic findings. The mammogram should be obtained prior to biopsy so that other suspicious areas can be noted and the contralateral breast can be checked. Mammography is never a substitute for biopsy because it may not reveal clinical cancer in a very dense breast, as may be seen in young women with fibrocystic change, and it often does not reveal medullary-type histology breast cancer.
Post Comment

Comments (3)

Way to go, Doctor Doctor::applause:

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in America and I want to encourage all women to get their Mammogram. Look for all the little Pink Ribbons and support their efforts in reaching out to those that cannot afford the cost of the procedure by providing them at no cost, from the funds that are raised.
This is very informative and such an important issue...
In the UK Breast Screening on the NHS is only offered to women over the age of 50, soon to be offered to 47 year olds. I think this age limit should be reduced even further as Breast Cancer is now forever claiming more and more young lives. In the UK there are 46,000 cases of breast cancer every year, that equates to 1 in 8 people which equates to 1 person being diagnosed every 11 seconds. Then there is the secondary cancers that may follow, even if the mastectomy has been successful, there is always the worry of another cancer waiting in the shadows.

Breast Cancer figures in the UK could be even less if more women came forward for their routine annual mammogram, in fact, there are only around 70% of women who actually have this screening, the other 30% do not even bother.

October is Breast Cancer awareness month here in the UK.
I for sure will be breast cancer aware for the rest of my life.

Thanks for a Brilliant Blog...

Bravo !!!!!



As I have already mentioned, a woman's risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer by age is as follows:
• By age 30: 1 in 2000
• By age 40: 1 in 233
• By age 50: 1 in 53
• By age 60: 1 in 22
• By age 70: 1 in 13
• By age 80: 1 in 9
• In a lifetime: 1 in 8

You may think that 1 in 2000 is not a big deal, but would this comfort you if you happen to be that particular one??? Cause of death: statistics, bioethics and politics. I am very dissapointed!!!
Post Comment - Let others know what you think about this Blog.