Playing For Time Movie
Female prisoners in a Nazi concentration camp (Auschwitz) are spared from death in return for performing music for their captors.
Movie Plot: In World War II, the Jewish French musician and cabaret singer Fania Fenelon Goldstein is sent by the Nazis from Paris to the Auschwitz Concentration Camp. The guards take her clothing and luggage and they cut her hair very short. One day, when she is very weak, she hears someone asking whether any prisoner could sing Giacomo Puccini's Madama Butterfly and she joins the group of musicians that have been spared from the gas chambers to entertain the Nazis performing music for them. She convinces the conductor Alma Rose to invite her friend Marianne, telling that she would be a talented singer. Along the years of abusive treatment, they survive but losing their dignity.
- Runtime: 150 min
- Genre: Drama, Music
- Director: Daniel Mann, Joseph Sargent
- Writer: Arthur Miller, Fania Fénelon (autobiography: "The Musicians of Auschwitz")
- Actors: Vanessa Redgrave, Jane Alexander, Maud Adams, Christine Baranski
- Language: English
- Country: USA
- Awards: Nominated for 1 Golden Globe. Another 5 wins & 2 nominations
- Production Company: Syzygy Productions
- ASIN: B003S5TOZG
- Release Date: 1980
Report Abuse for this page, if inappropiate